Skip to main content

Pink encouragement card


Hello there! Erica on the blog today with another very pink card. Using pink for our cards for the month of October here on Kennedy Grace Creations is to raise awareness for something that's touched many of us here personally, breast cancer. Cancer is a horrible, horrible disease and affects far more of us than many believe. As many as one in three. Now that's very scary statistics. If you haven't done so already, make sure you have your breasts thoroughly examined and go to the doctor immediately if you spot anything suspicious at all. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Today's card has quite a few different elements to it and it did take me two whole days to make it. That's probably mostly due to the fact I started late one evening and had to go to bed before it was done but lets say it was because the water colouring had to dry. Makes me sound less like a tired old grump!
I started by picking out two different shades of pink in a lovely linen textured card stock as well as a bright white. The white was both for the detail and for the base of the card. By now, no one will be surprised that I used my trusted A2 stitched rectangle Lawn Fawn die for the card base part. Come on now, was anyone really surprised? Raise of hands. Ok, that would be....hmmm... not a single one... LOL!

I also cut a rectangle out in both the pink shades. This is to ensure that the details line up perfectly when you are cutting them out by lining up the edges before running it through your cutting machine. Another way of doing it, any this is simpler to be honest, is to cut out the details first, stick them together with double-sided tape and then cut out the stitched rectangle. Please note, that this will only work if you do paper piercing. You can cheat and simply layer the card stock on top of each other but this makes the card very heavy and bulky. Plus you run the risk of damaging your BigShot/other brand of cutting machine when cutting out the rectangle border.

Using a stitched pretty border from Pretty Pink Posh, I started cutting out thin strips of the card stock, one white and two each of the pink. I placed two bits of card stock on top of each other and ran it through my BigShot, taking one of the strips out after each time. Once I had enough, I used a bit of PostIt tape that I had stuck to my work table with the sticky side up and started layering the pieces together. The reason I used PostIt tape instead of double-sided tape right away was to make sure all the bits stayed where they were supposed to be. I've done this in the past and it's ended up all wonky or with gaps. That's not the look you want.
Turning the pieces over, still attached to the PostIt tape, I then added my double sided tape after inspecting it and being happy that there were no gaps or wonky bits. I used a 2" wide tape and placed it on both edges as well as the middle.

Taking the A2 piece I cut out earlier, I placed that in my Mini MISTI and positioned the paper-pierced piece on top of it where I wanted it to go. I picked out a sentiment, for this card I chose 'you are in my thoughts and prayers' from Grace's Happy Heart stamp set, which I stamped in a dark pink ink in the bottom left corner.

Having finished all those bits and pieces, I picked out the gorgeous Beautiful Bloom-Sweet Rose stamp and decided to water colour it. I've still got those Gansai Tambi water colours my friend lent me and I try to make the most of them whilst I still have them on hand. Using RangerInk water colour paper, I stamped up the flower with VersaMark ink and heat embossed it with Wow embossing powder in Opaque Bright White. As I was going for a pink theme, I used no35 of the Gansai colours and diluted it quite a lot for the first layer, just to get that pink-ish tint. Adding layer by layer, slowly and letting it dry in between, the flower started to come to life. I simply adore how you can get so many different looks from the same stamp just by using different colour combos, techniques and style. I went with soft pink for the big petals and darker pink details for contrast. For the leaves I used two different shades of green.
With water colouring I find it hard to know when to stop and when it's just enough, I haven't quite found that happy, perfect medium yet. However I try not to stress about that, I do enjoy practicing and seeing the images change before me and that's all that matters. Once I decided it was finished, I fussy cut the image out as best I could without ruining the heat embossed edges. It's quite tricky! Maybe it's time to start hinting to hubby quite seriously about getting a Scan'n'Cut for Christmas?? 

To assemble the card, I used my beloved foam tape. It's one of my absolute must-haves when it comes to crafting and I like using different thickness to add lots of layers and dimension. Starting with the paper pierced piece, I added a generous amount to stop it from sagging anywhere. It needed to be quite sturdy to stay flat and also to support the flower which also got foam taped to within an inch of it's life. Adhering it to the card, I stepped back to look at it and decided that it simply had to have some sequins. Using different sizes of sequins from the Moonbeam mix, I placed them in a bit of a "spray shape" on the card and once I was happy, I used Glossy Accents to glue them on. 

Well, that's all from me today. I hope you like the card as much as I do and that I have inspired you to try one of these techniques.

Happy crafting from Erica 

PS don't forget to get your "girls" aka breast checked out! 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Layered Card - Featuring Kennedy Grace Creations: Time To Blossom

Hey folks! I'm back to share a card from the Kennedy Grace Creations New Release! The stamp set I used today is the Time To Blossom Stamp Set . I really enjoyed the simplicity of this set. You could totally heat emboss this and do some fabulous watercoloring, but Copic's seems to be the way to go for me lately so that's what I did. I started by stamping the image twice on my card panel. The only masking I did was a tiny bit on the stem. The name of the game was to keep this super simple folks. As I said, I colored the images with Copic's. Another thing I enjoy about the Time To Blossom Stamp Set is that you could choose any colors you wanted. I chose red-violets and yellow-greens, but seriously peeps, whatever floats your boat and it will looks great! To finish off my card, I used a added a couple of hand drawn lines to the background and I stamped a portion of a stamp that is also in the Time To Blossom Stamp Set . That's it! Easy peasy. T

Grand Opening Blog Hop

Hello Crafty Friends! Wow it has been a long time in coming but today is our official GRAND OPENING!  We are so exited for today!! We have been planning this for a very long time and can't wait to show you.  We have lined up some of the MOST AMAZING talented ladies in the crafting world on our hop today!  We hope you will enjoy all the amazing projects they will be sharing! Our Newest release is now available in the Kennedy Grace Creations Online Store.  https://squareup.com/store/kennedy-grace-creations What I created for the hop is this beautiful card. Metallics on cards is beautiful and I like the combination of it with flowers. I am using the brand new Beautiful Blooms Sweet Rose stamps set. It is a large rose stamp set with various sentiments.  It is so detailed and very pretty.  To celebrate our GRAND OPENING - Kennedy Grace Creations will be giving away 3 random winners $25.00 gift certificates to our Online Store. All you have to d
Welcome to the CDD Stamp & Die Release Blog Hop.    All stamps & Dies are in the  CDD Shop  and no w available for purchase. You may purchase stamps and dies here   Autumn Wishes Bundle The Autumn Wishes Bundle is available for this weekend only thru Sunday.  This special price is for what is in stock only and ends 8/30 10pm MST. We also have 3 new sequins                                                      Here's what I've created for you... I created for you this really cute scarecrow garden scene card.  I stamped the adorable girly scarecrow from the Autumn Wishes stamp set on to watercolor paper in Versafine ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  I colored her in with Tombow watercolor markers.  I then added some wink of Stella over the hat band and hair bands to make them pop.  I stamped several of the pumpkins, leaves, acorns and mushrooms coloring them all the same way. I then cut som